Thursday, July 17, 2008

There Is No Explanation and There Is No Excuse

Three weeks too late, I began wondering why, when I imported John's manuscript from Word into InDesign CS3, all the italics were stripped out. (Is this a big deal? How many words do you think appear in italics in a 368-page book? Probably a lot, right? You are correct. Now think about going through the entire manuscript and re-applying italics to all those words. Such is my pathetic profession.)

A couple tests confirms: InD CS3 ignores italics in Word documents. (And forget about being asked to import styles and all that.)

The solution: Import text into CS2, then copy it over into CS3.

The conclusion: I have to quit this stupid job. There's no excuse for this kind of crap in InD but in the final analysis, there's no excuse for me putting up with it.

No comments: